Preschool is currently enrolling for 2013 - 2014. For more information, contact Cindi at 703-435-8829 or Cindi@nvhcreston.org
NVHC Preschool offers a warm and loving environment for the youngest members of our community.
Our well thought out curriculum helps children grow physically, intellectually, emotionally and socially. Our program allows children to learn by exploring, experimenting, and observing, while building a strong foundation in their Jewish identity through blessings, music, activities, and stories.
What Makes NVHC Preschool Special?
- Seasoned staff whose tenure averages more than 15 years and is known for their enthusiasm, love and commitment to creating a nurturing environment for your children
- Preschool programs that foster independence and a positive self-image
- Active and vibrant Jewish community where families build lasting friendships
- Nut free classrooms to keep all children safe and healthy
- Car pool line for pick up and drop off (except on Friday morning)
- Diaper friendly
- Special $1,200 membership rate for student families
- Creative Arts Extended Day Program will include Tae Kwon Do, Art and JumpBunch, a sports and fitness program for young children
- Our music specialist, Miss Nell, will be in our classrooms teaching music and lead us on Fridays in our special Shabbat Sing Along
- Children whose registration includes Thursday classes will have Yoga as part of our curriculum
- We have an Early Morning Drop Off option
- We offer a four day option for three year olds
- Donuts with Dudes in April and…
- Mother’s Day Tea in May.
Click or scroll down, to learn more about NVHC Preschool.
Our goal is to provide a warm, loving, happy, and nurturing environment for our youngest children so that they develop a lifelong love of learning.
Two-Year-Old program strives to:
- ease separation from parents
- model sharing and play with peers
- develop an understanding of routines
- encourage and increase language develop and skills
- and have children follow simple directions.
In the Two-Year-Old program we emphasize:
- color, shape, and letter recognition
- conversation with peers and adults
- participation in story-telling and singing
- drinking from cups
- and aid in toilet training.
Additionally, in the Two-Year-Old program we:
- celebrate Jewish holidays
- teach blessing (the motzi)
- teach Jewish values such as Tzedakah – justice, tikkun olam repairing the world
- and teach appreciation for the diverse population of our Preschool.
Our program is designed to further the positive Preschool experience while building upon the foundation begun in our Two-Year-Old program.
We continue to offer a safe and nurturing environment in which our children will:
- grow in self confidence
- grow in independence
- and advance their social and verbal skills
In order to accomplish these goals, we emphasize:
- self-help skills to foster independence
- easing transition between school activities
- social skills through play, sharing, and peer interaction
- imaginary play
- communicating needs and expressing feelings
- validating needs and feelings.
Additionally, in the Three-Year-Old program we provide our children:
- a fun environment to learn these skills
- and a stimulating environment in which to explore challenge, question, and indulge their curiosity.
- We continue to expand the children’s knowledge of and appreciation for Jewish traditions, customs, and heritage, with an emphasis on Shabbat.
This program is designed with Kindergarten in mind. We build on the Two- and Three-Year-Old programs so our four-year-olds are well prepared to enter Kindergarten.
During this important year, we emphasize social growth by:
- promoting positive interaction with children in group settings
- furthering respect for other people and property
- encouraging personal responsibility
- providing opportunities for children to be leaders and participants.
In the Four-Year-Old Program we emphasize emotional growth by:
- fostering a positive self-image in all of our children
- providing new experiences for children to explore
- acknowledging their feelings and allowing expression of these feelings
- teaching coping skills
- modeling good/bad choices and problem-solving strategies.
Intellectual growth through:
- introduction of relatable experiences in logical sequence
- providing opportunities for children to dictate stories and experiences
- furthering children’s ability to follow more than one oral direction
- encouragement of longer attention to and completion of one activity
- offering an array of experiences which will support Kindergarten readiness using colors, shapes, the alphabet, numbers, and rhyming. Additionally, children will be introduced to writing their own names and reproducing patterns.
In the Four-Year-Old program we emphasize physical growth by:
- developing gross motor skills through running, jumping, and use of indoor and outdoor climbing equipment
- developing small motor skills through the use of scissors, crayons, puzzles, and small manipulatives
- developing balance through skipping and dancing
Music is an important offering at NVHC Preschool. During the week, Miss Nell comes to teach the children new songs, while incorporating dance, tactical skills, and movement for a fun learning experience.
For Shabbat (on Fridays), Miss Nell, often with the help of the NVHC Cantor Irena Altshul or Rabbi Michael Holzman, teaches Shabbat, Jewish holiday, Israeli and Hebrew songs. She uses her 'teaching box' to incorporate rhythm instruments, rainbow streamers, a stuffed Torah, or other props to reinforce visuals or ideas in the songs.
The parental experience is just as important as the child's experience in Preschool. This is often the first time parents entrust their children to others. The Preschool staff and board understand this. We use a multi-faceted approach in communicating with parents including monthly calendars, teacher phone calls, emails, emergency announcements, and weekly updates from your child's teacher, the Director, and sometimes the music teacher!
- Toddler Time class is a great introduction to our Preschool. These weekly hour-long classes for 12 months - 24 months provide an opportunity for parents to interact with their children in a warm, creative Jewish environment.
- Summer Camp is a fun-filled weekly themed program offering sports, arts and crafts, paddling pools and more.
- Parents' Group offers opportunities throughout the year for students and parents to socialize and build community. Activities include a fall picnic, morning coffees, fundraising events, Purim Carnival and Parents' Night Out.
- Room Parents work to set up and execute holiday themed programs throughout the year. We have Thanksgiving and Chanukah lunches, coordinate charity events with classrooms, and even plan class play dates outside of school hours.
|For additional information about NVHC Preschool, please contact:|